Learn to dive in Melbourne: PADI Open Water
Have you always dreamed of scuba diving?
Imagine swimming over coral reefs, exploring kelp forest or discovering sunken ship wrecks. This is what dreams are made of and it’s all possible when you learn to dive in Melbourne.
What is the PADI Open Water Diver Course?
The PADI Open Water Course is the first level of diving certificate. You’ll learn how to become a safe, competent and confident diver and you’ll be certified to dive to a maximum depth of 18 meters. When you finish your PADI Open Water Course at Ocean Divers you’ll feel proud of your accomplishments, you’ll have made new friends and you’ll have your ticket to dive anywhere in the world.
During your course, you’ll need to complete 5 knowledge development (theory) modules and 5 confined water (swimming pool) sessions and then you’ll be able to join us for 4 incredible dives in the ocean!
- Knowledge Development utilizing PADI’s latest teaching aids will keep classroom time to a minimum while ensuring you understand the basic principles of scuba diving.
- Confined Water Dives to learn and practice scuba skills. You’ll be in the hands of capable, experienced dive instructors in a safe and controlled environment which allows you to get comfortable with the gear and skills required for the course.
- Open Water Dives to use your skills and explore some of the most diverse and unusual marine life seen anywhere in the world! Apart from mastering diving skills your instructor will make sure you learn something about the environment you’re in. During your four training dives you will get a chance to make 2 shore or pier dives as well as 2 boat dives from Portsea.
Our Standard PADI Open Water Course in Melbourne is conducted over one evening and two consecutive weekends (weather permitting), and follows this schedule:
- Thursday – 6.00pm-8.30pm – Orientation session, gear fitting, paperwork and classroom.
- Saturday – 9.00am-6pm – Classroom and pool dives.
- Sunday – 9.00am-6pm – Classroom and pool dives.
- Following weekend:
- Saturday – all day commitment – Two shore/pier dives, location varies.
- Sunday – all day commitment – Two boat dives from Portsea.
- To accommodate differences in tides and weather, our chosen dive sites, the boat schedule and diving times may vary from course to course.
- Please note: To take the PADI Open Water Course you must be at least 12 years old. You need to have adequate swimming skills to swim 200meters and you need to be in good physical health. No prior experience of scuba diving is required.
Why Take the PADI Open Water Course in Victoria?
Scuba diving will open the way for you to discover the underwater environment; encounter different marine life, view extraordinary ocean topography from coral reefs and kelp forests to explore sunken wrecks. Our ‘Open Water Diver’ course in Melbourne is an adventure, it’s safe and it’s a lot of fun.
Learn to dive in Melbourne and upon completion of your course, you will be certified to dive to 18 metres, just about anywhere in the world. You will be able to dive independently of an Instructor with the confidence and knowledge to buddy up with any other diver and go diving!
Why Learn to Dive with Ocean Divers
The short answer is that we are fun, friendly, professional, love teaching and have high regard for safety. We are a PADI 5 Star Career Development Centre which means we don’t just teach divers – we also teach Instructors!
We have years of experience so you can rest assured that you are diving with experts who understand the area and who have an ongoing passion for teaching diving! All of our PADI Instructors are professional, fun and have a love of teaching and sharing the amazing underwater world around Melbourne with new divers!
Here what’s included when you take the Open Water Course and Learn to dive in Melbourne with us:
• The use of all SCUBA gear, scuba unit, a quality 7mm wetsuit & hood/hood attached vest, weight system & fins.
• PADI Certification Card and Registration.
• Open Water Student Kit – yours to keep! Includes PADI Open Water Manual, dive log book and the use of a DVD during the course.
• All air fills at Ocean Divers.
• All Course Dives:
• Shore or Pier Dives: a minimum of 2.
• Boat Dives: a minimum of 2, if you want/need more, these are available at an additional cost of $65 per dive.
• Knowledge development and equipment sessions.
• Heated pool dives – including pool entrance fees, minimum of two days, up to 8 hours pool training (practice makes perfect)
• Continuous training if needed at beginner level (NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR UP TO SIX MONTHS OF TRAINING).
• FREE Ocean Divers Club membership for a year! Which gives you discounted hire charges, cheaper air fills, free shore dives, newsletters by email, 10% discount store wide on purchases, club meetings, social outings and travel specials and a great way to meet divers and stay active.
So are you ready to learn to dive in Melbourne with us? We’d love to be a part of your underwater adventures! If you’d like more information or to make a reservation, fill in our online contact form, or send us an email to: email@example.com
Ocean Divers is a PADI Five Star Instructor Development Centre and a Scubapro Platinum Dealer. Established since 1972, Ocean Divers is the longest operating dive store in Melbourne.
We look forward to scuba diving in Melbourne with you soon!