Get your PADI with us!
We offer the highest quality teaching with an emphasis on fun and safety. Our instructors are passionate about diving and committed to helping you to become the best diver you can be – not just to gain a certification.
Scuba diving will open the way for you to discover the underwater environment; encounter different marine life, view extraordinary ocean topography – coral reefs, kelp forests or explore sunken wrecks…..our ‘Open Water Diver’ course is easy, safe and fun.
Learn to dive in Melbourne and upon completion of your course, you will be certified to dive to 18 metres, just about anywhere in the world. You will be able to dive independently of an Instructor with the confidence and knowledge to buddy up with any other diver and go diving!
The PADI Open Water Course consists of self-study, classroom theory, heated pool dives, and open water (sea) dives. The course is an evening and two weekend commitment. Our ocean dives are a combination of shore and boat dives, both locally and around the Peninsula with a wide range of dive sites to enjoy.
• The use of all SCUBA gear, scuba unit, a quality 7mm wetsuit & hood/hood attached vest, weight system & fins.
• PADI Certification Card and Registration.
• Open Water Student Kit – yours to keep! Includes PADI Open Water Manual, dive log book and the use of a DVD during the course.
• All air fills at Ocean Divers.
• Shore/pier dives – a minimum of 2
• Boat Dives – minimum of 2, if you need more these are available at an additional cost of $65 per dive.
• Knowledge development and equipment sessions.
• Heated pool dives – including pool entrance fees, minimum of two days, up to 8 hours pool training (practice makes perfect)
• Continuous training if needed at beginner level (NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR UP TO SIX MONTHS OF TRAINING).
• FREE Ocean Divers Club membership for a year! Which gives you discounted hire charges, cheaper air fills, free shore dives, newsletters by email, 10% discount store wide on purchases, club meetings, social outings and travel specials and a great way to meet divers and stay active.
Can’t commit to our scheduled courses? We have a personal training option designed to accommodate your needs – $1195.00
The Standard Course is conducted over one evening and two consecutive weekends (weather permitting).
Thursday – 6.00pm-8.30pm – Orientation session, gear fitting, paperwork and classroom.
Saturday – 9.00am-6pm – Classroom and pool dives.
Sunday – 9.00am-6pm – Classroom and pool dives.
Saturday – all day commitment – Two shore/pier dives, location varies.
Sunday – all day commitment – Two boat dives from Portsea.
Due to changes in tides and weather, dive sites, boat schedule and times may vary from course to course.
- The minimum age to participate is 12 years old (a parent’s or guardian’s consent is required for participants under 18 years old). Parents are responsible for minors and must be available to transport them to and from pool & dive locations.
- All participants must complete a Medical Questionnaire. If any of the questions are flagged as “Yes” you must obtain medical clearance from a doctor prior to participating. Please ensure you complete this Medical Questionnaire before the start of your course, no medical, no diving.
- Although a diving medical may not be required, it is nevertheless strongly recommended. Further, a diving medical may uncover conditions you may not be aware of, for example ear, nose and throat, or lung function issues, which could expose you to the risk of serious injury or death while diving.
- Australian Standard AS 4005.1 and SPUMS (South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society) both highly recommend a diving medical be completed.
- You must be able to swim 200 metres without stopping. There is no time limit for this and you may use any swimming stroke(s) you want.
- You must be able to float or tread water for 10 minutes.
- For your own comfort and hygiene, we require you to have your own personal items – your own mask, snorkel & dive boots. It is important that a good quality dive mask fits your face correctly to avoid leaking and spoiling your fun! We can fit you out in a correct fitting mask in store, purchase these at Ocean Divers for a discounted student rate!
- You must provide your own transportation for the course duration, you will need to get from the shop to the pool on the first weekend, and to the dive sites (up to 1.5hrs drive from Melbourne CBD) on the second weekend. We do not provide transport for students.