Technical training and equipment required
38m – 40m
The Milora was a Steel screw steamer built in Williamstown Dockyard, Victoria, in 1921 as the Emita for the Commonwealth Government Line of Melbourne. Her overall length was 331ft, her beam was 47.9ft and her draught was 27.1ft giving her a displacement weight of 1919 tons. On September 21 1934, under the command of Captain E. Wrigley she was inward bound from Newcastle with coal when she ran ashore inside Port Phillip Heads near Queenscliff. She was refloated after most of her cargo had been unloaded and moved towards Williamstown. The tugs Tooronga, James Patterson and Eagle assisted. She was eventually sold for scrap and after dismantling was towed out to Bass Strait by the tug James Paterson and scuttled in the Ship’s Graveyard, off Port Philip heads, 8 March 1935. She now lies facing North/South (bow South) with a maximum depth of 40 metres.