Technical training and equipment required
60m – 65m
The Hygeia was a steel Paddle steamer built in 1890 by Napier, Shanks & Bell in Yoker (Glasgow). Her owners were the Bay Steamers Ltd, of Melbourne. Her overall length was 300ft, her beam was 32ft and her draught was 11ft giving her a displacement weight of 986 tons. A comfortable Port Phillip Bay steamer, she could carry 1600 passengers at speeds of up to 20 knots, with promenade decks, saloons, dining rooms, bars and a barber’s shop. She now lies off Barwon heads in 65 metres of water.