PADI Open Water Course
Learning to SCUBA dive is easy, safe and fun!
At Ocean Divers, our professional Instructors teach you using the PADI system, which is the largest recreational scuba teaching organisation in the world. PADI is recognised in over 80 countries and teaches in excess of 75% of the world's scuba divers.
Learn to dive in Melbourne and upon completion of your course, you will be certified to dive to 18 metres, just about anywhere in the world.
Want to learn in Chinese?
Minimum age 12 years.
Book 2 people on the same course - $ 675.00 each
Book 3 people on the same course - $ 650.00 each
Group 4 or more on the same course - 10% off
Prefer learning online? Registration fee paid to PADI & balance of $495.00 to Ocean Divers.
The PADI Open Water Course consists of self-study, classroom theory, heated pool dives, and open water (sea) dives. Open water dives are a combination of shore and boat dives, both locally and around the Peninsula. We have a wide choice of dive sites and the boat departs from Portsea pier.
The Standard Course is conducted over one evening and two consecutive weekends (weather permitting).
Thursday - 6.00pm-8.30pm
Saturday - 9.00am-1pm classroom, pool 1pm-6pm
Sunday - 9.00am-1pm classroom then pool 1pm-6pm
Following weekend we dive Saturday and Sunday which normally takes most of the day. Due to changes in tides and weather, dive sites and times may vary from course to course.
Can't commit to our scheduled courses? We have a personal training option designed to accommodate your needs - $1195.00
What do I need:
- You need to complete a PADI dive medical statement upon signing up for the course. If any questions are answered with a 'yes' you will be required to have a full dive medical.
Although a diving medical will not be required, it is highly recommended. Further, a diving medical may uncover conditions you may not be aware of, for example ear, nose and throat , or lung function issues, which could expose you to the risk of serious injury or death while diving. Australian Standard AS 4005.1 and SPUMS (South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society) both highly recommend a diving medical be completed.
You can find a list of diving doctors here: Diving doctors
For your own comfort and hygiene, we require you to have your own personal items – that is your mask, snorkel & boots.
It is important that a good quality dive mask fits your face correctly to avoid leaking and spoiling your fun!
Purchased these at Ocean Divers for a discounted rate!
- The use of all SCUBA gear, a quality suit & hood, weight system & fins
- PADI Certification and Registration
- Open Water Student Kit - yours to keep! Includes Open Water Manual, RDP dive tables and booklet, log book and the use of a DVD during the course
- All air fills
- Shore dives - a minimum of 2
- Boat Dives - minimum of 2, if you need more these are available at an additional cost of $70 per dive
- Knowledge development and equipment sessions
- Heated pool dives - minimum of two
- Continuous training if needed at beginner level (no extra charge for up to six months of training)
- Ocean Divers Club membership that offers 50% off hire charges, cheaper air fills, free shore dives, regular newsletters, discounts on purchases, club meetings, social outings and travel specials at the completion of the course
- PADI 'Open Water' Certification Card - on successful completion
Want to start?
Alternatively learn online!
We require a $150.00 deposit, for which you receive your PADI Open Water manual (unless you choose eLearning) and the Recreational Dive Planner.
Balance of course fees are due at the first session of your course. Please bring one passport sized photograph of yourself which is needed for certification processing.